Reflections on music, art, & letters from Isabella d’Este’s court – let us hear from you!

Something that really struck me about Ad tempo taci was when Marco Beasley started singing Bartolomeo Tromboncino’s “Tu dormi io veglio ala tempesta e vento.” The first lines went as follows: “You sleep, I stand watch in the wind and rain on the marble stone of your doorstep. You sleep, I stand watch, and with bitter accent I endlessly cry for pity that is dead to me. You sleep, I stand watch in grave torment, finding no one to comfort my pain. You sleep peacefully without worry and my eyes never close.”

Instantly, all I could think about was the state of the world we are currently in. With all of the chaos going on, these words spoke to me. I couldn’t help but translate this into thinking about patients in hospitals who can’t have visitors. Mothers are giving birth without their partners in the room with them. Grandparents are isolated – lonely and afraid. Newborns can’t meet their families. Emergency rooms are over crowed. Families have to resort to using technology to speak to one another.

These words both haunt me and bring me peace. Although many people are torn apart right now, they are still keeping watch for one another. They cry for one another. They will never stop caring for one another. And once this is all over, they can be with one another. Families will reunite. Grandparents will meet their grandchildren. There will be hugs all around. Healthcare workers will catch a break. Everything will fall back into its place eventually. But right now, all we can do is wait on the marble stone of the doorstep.

– Savannah Meier
Indian Trail, North Carolina

Link to the Ad tempo taci: Songs for Isabella d’Este here

Tap the title of this post to leave your comment

One Reply to “Reflections on music, art, & letters from Isabella d’Este’s court – let us hear from you!”